Tuesday, 4 June 2013

The problem of too much

I have TOO MUCH CRAP. This is my big realization this week. I mean, I kind of knew in the back of my mind that I have a lot of things, but packing really shoved reality in my face.



So new goal:

  • No clothes shopping for 4 months (until Oct 1st): I was going to put for the rest of the year, but I don't want to be too ambitious right off the bat. 4 months seems doable, and I might extend the ban beyond that. Possible exceptions: I need good warm winter coat for the horrendously cold Calgary winter I've been hearing about, and I'm super afraid of the cold. (I know, what am I doing in Canada? I should be in California or Florida ;-P)
  • Limit household items shopping: This one might be difficult to accomplish since I'm moving to a new city, but I'll do my best!
  • Consign/donate clothes that I don't like anymore: A bit of extra income? ;-D
  • I'll start posting monthly spending summaries. 


It's funny, my mom keeps calling my generation the generation of too much. In her childhood, their problem was they didn't have enough food or clothes or just everything in general even though she's from a local middle class family. Now she's still middle class, but her problem is needing to remind herself not to eat/buy too much because we're so very fortunate to have all these affordable options available.

4 comments:

  1. I have to say, this is pretty much my life in a nutshell. After moving back home for 8 months from my student house I realize how much stuff I had and really had to purge a lot of things. Might just have to write a blog post and set myself up with some goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first comment, thank you!
      It totally boggles my mind how much stuff I accumulated. Now I'm looking at perhaps purging some of them, and it is so difficult. Maybe I should learn from mochimac@savespendsplurge and become a selective minimalist.
      I look forward to your blog post! Writing my goals down in a blog post keeps me motivated and makes me feel accountable.

      Delete
  2. Hey great new blog! So excited to watch your journey out of student debt.

    Winters in Alberta can be awful so a good coat is a worthwhile investment. I bought a nice Burton snowboard jacket 5-6 years ago and it's still serving me well, so don't be scared of a big pricetag, you'll get good bang for your buck!

    Good luck on your goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've been reading/lurking on your blog for awhile now, so imagine my excitement to see a comment from you. ; )

      People have been telling me to buy a Canada Goose jacket, but I couldn't quite justify the price to myself. Thanks for telling me about the Burton jackets! I'll make sure I invest in a good coat for the winter. : )

      Delete