To transfer ownership of a vehicle between family members, you must visit a ServiceOntario centre and bring with you the following documents:
- proof of Ontario insurance
- Ontario driver's licence
- Safety Standards Certificate
- emissions test (if applicable)
- vehicle ownership with the completed portion on the back (title, registration, etc.) * Fill out the back of the green card.
- Sworn Statement for a Family Gift: This one you will get at the ServiceOntario centre, they won't take an already filled out form because you need to complete it before the commissioner
- Spouse Declaration and/or Plate Transfer Declaration: If you would like to transfer the ownership of the licence plate as well, then fill out the bottom half of this form.
Exemptions include the following person(s):
- parent or step-parent
- son or step-son
- daughter or step-daughter
- grandson or granddaughter
- step-grandson or step-granddaughter
- brother or sister
- half siblings (siblings with a common parent)
- adopted siblings (siblings with a common parent by way of adoption)
Note: Only one tax-free transfer per vehicle is allowed every 12 months within your close family.
Both the donor and the recipient of the car must be present because you need to sign and swear before the commissioner. If the vehicle has joint ownership, then all the owners have to be present or a power of attorney for property representing the missing party must be there.
Hope this was helpful. Good luck!