Thursday, 16 May 2013

Book Review: The Wealthy Barber Returns

This is a book review of The Wealthy Barber Returns



Even though I called this a book review, it's more snippets of my thoughts.

The Wealthy Barber Returns is David Chilton's newest book and a follow-up of sorts to his bestseller The Wealthy Barber. The book contains many short, easy-to-read chapters. The author David Chilton is very funny and his book is filled with self-deprecating humour.

Interesting points that stood out for me:

Think of your purchases in turn of how long you have to work (or your hourly rate after taxes & deduction)
Be grateful for what you have: the best things in life aren't things.
Keep an expenses summary: it could help control your spending subconsciously, and if not, help with your budget.
Emergency funds don't work, we will always come up with excuses to spend: I'm not sure how much I agree with this point, perhaps I should give my parents money for the emergency fund so I don't spend it?

All in all, while it is an enjoyable read, I find most of the concepts to be repeats of what I already know. But this book would be great for someone new to personal finance.

No comments:

Post a Comment